How the years have passed

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
gundun

How the years have passed

Postby gundun » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:04 pm

I just realized that Steve Thomas, X's great scorer whose total career points were limited by a knee injury, the lack of the 3 pointer, and the fact that freshmen couldn't play, will turn 80 on Tuesday. Seems like only yesterday that he was scoring from all spots on that old Fieldhouse court. Happy B-day #10. Still remember the season you averaged 30 ppg.
olsingledigit

Re: How the years have passed

Postby olsingledigit » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:43 am

gundun wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:04 pm
I just realized that Steve Thomas, X's great scorer whose total career points were limited by a knee injury, the lack of the 3 pointer, and the fact that freshmen couldn't play, will turn 80 on Tuesday. Seems like only yesterday that he was scoring from all spots on that old Fieldhouse court. Happy B-day #10. Still remember the season you averaged 30 ppg.
As do i. My freshman year. What fun it was.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:28 pm

Happy Birthday Steve--you gave us many thrills! Hope you have many more and all of us geezers are around when Miller takes X to the promised land!
gym from delhi

Postby gym from delhi » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:17 pm

Still my all-time favorite player, followed closely by Bob Quick and (yeah, I know) Bryan Williams.
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:18 pm

10% or less of the site cares about these ancient stories, but OMG Brian (Bryan?) Williams, what a dude. The stories I could tell. I'll leave it at this. One day at Brockman we were just shooting the sh*t in my dorm room and I told him I had to take one. So I go down the hall into a stall, and next thing I know he's still talking to me and I look up and he's standing on the toilet in the stall next to me (plus he's like what 6'8 ish) looking over the wall just shooting the sh*t some more! He was a CRAZY man but I loved him.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:09 pm

gym from delhi wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:17 pm
Still my all-time favorite player, followed closely by Bob Quick and (yeah, I know) Bryan Williams.
Bryan Williams was a crazy man, but Uber talented. He never reached his potential. Truly ambidextrous. His brother, Jim, ended up as a hs basketball coach in Indiana and ultimately as AD at my high school Cathedral, in Indianapolis. He coaches girls bb at Cathedral for a year as interim. I asked how he liked coaching girls and he said, “If there was a tragedy on Peyton Place the night before they weren’t worth a dime in practice the next day!”
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:12 pm

SC in DC wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:18 pm
10% or less of the site cares about these ancient stories, but OMG Brian (Bryan?) Williams, what a dude. The stories I could tell. I'll leave it at this. One day at Brockman we were just shooting the sh*t in my dorm room and I told him I had to take one. So I go down the hall into a stall, and next thing I know he's still talking to me and I look up and he's standing on the toilet in the stall next to me (plus he's like what 6'8 ish) looking over the wall just shooting the sh*t some more! He was a CRAZY man but I loved him.
I believe he was 6’5”. Transferred to X from St Louis after, rumored, dismissed from the team there. He had a band whose favorite song was “Hot Nuts”.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”